Thursday, November 8, 2007

Being a mommy

As most of you know and if you don't you will now. I was unable to have any children of my own - biologically that is. That was all I ever wanted to be was a mommy!!!! So the news that I would have a difficult time conceiving was devestating! But there was still hope because they said "difficult time conceiving"! At that point in my life I began to pray that God would send me a man that had children. I was 18 when I got married and became an instant mommy to 3 children. It was not easy to say the least, but I did love them and do the best I could. Of course I made tons of mistakes due to my age, my pride - not wanting to ask for help because everyone said I could not do it and would not be married long, that was all my fault!. But, to all those who said that about Larry and I, we celebrated 19 years in August. :)! At 29 years old I was diagnosed with cancer and had to have a full hysterectomy. There went all hope of having a biological child. I had 3 girls at the time (2 step daughters and an adopted daughter) who had filled my heart with so much joy! I also had a step son who lived with his mother. But I knew that was not it for us and my husband agreed. When we moved to North Carolina we became foster parents and now we have adopted 5 more children. We adopted a teen boy, a sibling group with 2 boys and 1 girl and our latest adoption is a 3 year old boy. we have white, black and hispanic children! We are truly a blended family!!!! We are extremely BLESSED and now I have all these wonderful children calling me mommy. The saying any woman can be a mother but it takes someone special to be a mommy has hit home with me. I have a group on My space called Heart Mommas - because my children did not grow under my heart but they did grow in it! I know these are all cliche's, but they fit! I will never stop grieving the loss of having a biological child and carrying a baby inside my womb, but I do fully know the joys - and even the sorrows - of being a mommy. I have been with 2 friends to have their babies and they both had to go to C-Sections after long labors, and I missed seeing them born, so we are praying hard that Kourtnee has Sydnee naturally and I can be with her the entire time and see my grand daughter be born. I am so excited about that. Being a MEME is so awesome!!!!!! I did not think life could get better then Aiden came into our lives our first little grand son. Now we have Sydnee Renee' coming our first grand daughter!!!!!!!!!! Life is good! We are blessed! Being a parent is so much more than biology!!! That is why I strive to be a TULA mommy every day!!! God help me to be the wife and mother that YOU want me to be!
Good night all!

2 comments:

megdavis8586 said...

Melissa, this blog makes me want to cry and smile at the same time. I guess that I have taken it for granted being pregnant and having all these not so fun (puking my guts up, heart burn at 2 in the morning, craving wierd foods, etc.)things that come along with being pregnant. after reading this, it goes to show just how lucky I am...and makes me feel so much more thankful than I already was for our little "Sprout" as we call the baby.(Until we find out if its a Lily or a Devon)!! Thanks so much for this.

Melissa said...

Thanks Megan for the comment! I am glad that you now realize jsut how truly blessed you are! I look forwrad to knowing your little Sprout whether it is Lily or Devon! He or she can have a third set of grand parents!!! :)